Friday, April 07, 2006

What's it going to take to not be so Divided?

Sheehan appearance disappoints MACC backer
Sheehan appearance disappoints MACC backer

I donate yearly to the Maui Arts & Cultural Center and go to its many various events. There is one presentation at the center that is greatly upsetting.

I resent the fact that this facility will be used for any political agenda, especially one that promotes anything that has to do with Cindy Sheehan. To come to our beautiful island for a free vacation is one thing, but to have her open her treasonous mouth is another.

I know for a fact that more than half of the MACC’s donors feel the same as I do. To proceed with this controversial event is like biting the hands that feed you. I will definitely be giving my donations elsewhere, especially since this bite is extremely venomous.

Cindy Clark

Kihei

***********************************************
Sheehan visit not first political event at MACC
Sheehan visit not first political event at MACC

In regard to the April 2 letter complaining about Iraq war activist Cindy Sheehan coming to the Maui Arts & Cultural Center April 23 to speak in conjunction with the showing of “Sir, No Sir,” a historical documentary about the Vietnam veterans against the war movement, I seem to remember Republican Gov. Linda Lingle appearing at the MACC for a fundraising event.

I also feel that the MACC is a place for arts and cultural events and a film and speaking event falls into that category. If the letter writer wanted to bring Rush Limbaugh, President Bush and a film to the MACC, that would be his or her prerogative. I probably wouldn’t attend but others might and that’s what it is all about, First Amendment free speech.

Mostly, I resent the implication that a woman whose son died in Iraq cannot speak to hundreds and thousands of interested American patriots on Maui who want to hear her point of view.

I also resent the idea that thought police can tell me what movie I may attend or that the subject matter of the movie I choose to view implies I am not a patriot or don’t love my country or wouldn’t defend our Constitution and the right to free speech.

The Maui Arts & Cultural Center is for everyone on Maui, not just those who believe in one point of view. That’s what America and democracy are all about.

Lance Holter

Paia