Friday, April 21, 2006

Carlos Arredondo's Trip To Camp Casey for Easter

My Trip to Camp Casey

by Carlos Arredondo
April 20th, 2006


Carlos Arredondo

I was so impressed with Camp Casey. This was the
first time that I was in Texas. I arrived at
Dallas/Fort Worth. A family from San Francisco met me
at the airport and drove me to Camp Casey. From the
moment I arrived, everything was well organized,
comfortable, nice and clean. I loved getting up at
dawn to get coffee and take a shower in the corner
stall. Crawford was a great place to see beautiful
sunrises and sunsets. At night, I enjoyed seeing the
stars up above. People welcomed each other from the
moment they arrived, supplying and helping with tents
and places to sleep and providing meals. I enjoyed
helping out too. I met so many people and can't
remember names. I was impressed from how everybody
was from everywhere. The support from everyone really
helps me out with my healing process.

I enjoyed the speakers and seeing Cindy and Dede. I
also got to meet Cindy's daughter, Carly for the first
time and her friends. I am always impressed by how
down-to-earth Cindy is and continues to be with
everyone.

I experienced first hand THE OTHER SIDE's opinions
without any confrontation. I met some Gold Star
families who do not like the protesting but yet, we
were able to talk and share about those we lost. I'm
impressed by how hard people are working to keep this
movement going. I wish the whole country could see
all of the effort and all the different people who
work so hard at peace. One of the hardest workers in
my opinion is Ret. Col Ann Wright who I found a
pleasure to be with. I experienced her knowledge and
warmth. I enjoyed how much people spoke Spanish to
me! Being in Crawford, Texas, I experienced all this
in a cowfield with cowboys and bikers which made me
realize what the democracy of this country is all
about. Everyone handled the circumstances really
well. There were no regrets.

Everyone was very generous. Mr. Chun Pan gave me the
CD "What Democracy Looks Like". If you don't have it,
get it. It's really done professionally and is about
the antiwar protest from September 2005 in Washington,
DC. I was very touched that he included someone
reading Alex' letter. The voice sounded like Alex.
His email is chunpan9@yahoo.com if you want to contact
him.

I'm thankful for the opportunity and aid in getting to
Crawford for Easter. I only wish my family could have
been with me. I called both Brian and Mel as much as
I could so they could talk to people too. I send me
thanks to Cindy and Dede for aiding me in getting to
Crawford and being a part of your "family."