Friday, April 06, 2007

Carlos Arredondo in Crawford Sharing Alex

Marine's Father Finds Healing In Telling Son's Story

Lance Cpl. Alexander Arredondo was a proud Marine with a proud father.

"He was always smiling," said Carlos Arredondo, Alexander's father. "My son, he believed in not what the country can do for you, but what you can do for the country. That's how he was raised."

While serving his second tour of duty in Iraq, the 20-year-old was shot and killed by insurgents on Aug. 25, 2004, his father's birthday.

On a day that was supposed to be one of celebration, Carlos saw the military van pull up to his driveway and thought his son was coming home.

"I see them coming up," Carlos said. "It was my birthday. I was happy. I thought it was a surprise."

Carlos had a nervous breakdown when he learned his oldest son was gone.

He's been using his truck as a vehicle to heal, traveling the country with a replica of his son's casket, pictures and medals.

"You don't see any political signs on my truck, it speaks for itself," Carlos said. "I don't preach to anyone on what they should think. I just put the pictures and the memorial and people can take away what they want."

After traveling tens of thousands of miles, Crawford was his latest stop Thursday.

He will be in another town Friday, but no matter where Carlos goes, he always finds himself somewhere between joy and grief.

"I'm so proud of him," Carlos said. "I miss him a lot, so much. If he were looking down on me, which he already is looking down on me, he'd say, 'That's my dad!'"