Monday, June 26, 2006

I went to hear Murtha speak at Meek's Town Hall Meeting

I received an email last week from my Congressman Kendrick Meek. He has invited Jack Murtha to speak at a town hall meeting. I had to go. I rearranged my schedule so I could attend.

Meek "War in Iraq" Banner

Meek Town Hall Meeting on Iraq with Rep. John Murtha

Congressman Kendrick Meek
Invites You to a Town Hall Meeting on
The War in Iraq


Congressman Jack Murtha discusses the situation with American Troops in Iraq

Join Congressman Kendrick Meek for a Town Hall Meeting to Discuss the Road Ahead with Special Guest, Congressman John Murtha

Saturday, June 24, 2006
3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Florida International University
Biscayne Bay Campus
Wolfe University Center, Mary Ann Wolfe Theatre
3000 N.E. 151 Street, North Miami, Florida

Congressman Jack Murtha turned the debate over Iraq on its head in December 2005 when this decorated Vietnam Veteran and one of the most respected pro-military members of Congress issued his call for a redeployment of U.S. troops from Iraq. Come hear his reasons for that groundbreaking decisions in person on June 24th in North Miami at a Town Hall Meeting on Iraq hosted by Congressman Kendrick Meek.

For more information, please call Congressman Meek's Miami Gardens office at (305) 690-5905.


I called Meek's office to find out if we needed tickets to attend. I was told it was first come first served. I wanted to get there early. One thing I have noticed being involved in the politics/rallies/marches here in SoFlo. There are always the same people who attend. The small group of people - where ever I go are always there trying to make change. A hand full out of how many millions of people who live here in South Florida? I am amazed how few people get involved, how few people vote. I'm amazed how people go about their business and don't know what is going on in their name, in their country or maybe they know and are afraid to get involved. What ever it is - people need to get involved in this process. It is how they have been able to destroy so much about us - because people don't do anything. When people get involved, we will get our country back from the people killing and taking away our freedoms - Jobs, Healthcare, Votes.

The town hall meeting went very well. I do like Murtha. He has all my respect for what he is doing at his age. We need to stand behind him. We need to support this man. He only has our good as a nation at heart unlike what John H. Fund says in this article. People will say anything to tear down the person trying to do good. I really felt like he was honest in his words.

We were allowed to write down our questions. I asked 3 and they picked one. My first question was - When did Congressman Meek get on board with Murtha's plan? I tried to have a meeting with him back in December along with other members of MoveOn.org and at that time he didn't agree with the plan. #2 Has he (Murtha) met with Cindy Sheehan and does he support her? and the question they asked of mine - How come the UN doesn't get involved? They can do what we can not. We are the cause of the problem not the solution. His answer was the UN knows their limits. They know they are unable to help. He also noted how we disrespected the UN in the past, they have no desire to help us...and can't help if they wanted to help. We need the national community to get invloved. This is a worls problem. They need to step up to the plate and let us pull our troops out. We are the cause of the problem. The national community is the solution.

The meeting lasted about an hour and half. I want to Thank Kendrick Meek for putting on the town hall meeting. He needs to have them more often. I also want to thank Jack Murtha for taking his time to come speak to the almost full room here in SoFlo.

GET INVOLVED PEOPLE!

May peace be inside all of us,
Cindy