Saturday, May 13, 2006

Do you know how many today?

2,434 so we are told


4 Marines Killed in Iraq Tank Accident

Associated Press

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Four U.S. Marines died in Iraq when their tank rolled off a bridge into a canal and they drowned, the military said Friday.

The U.S. command said the deaths were not caused by hostile action.

The accident happened Thursday when the four Marines with Regimental Combat Team 5 were traveling in a U.S. M1A1 Main Battle Tank near Karmah, 50 miles west of Baghdad in Anbar Province. Many of Iraq's Sunni-led insurgent groups are based in the area.

The names of the deceased were being withheld pending notification of their relatives, and the accident was under investigation, the military said.

"We are a close-knit family and this loss affects us all," said Col. Larry D. Nicholson, commanding officer of Regimental Combat Team 5. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of these Marines during this difficult period."

Their deaths raised to at least 2,434 the number of members of the U.S. military who have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

********************************

March 2004
My Thoughts Drift Away.....

It's a beautiful day,The lawn fills with smiling faces.
The sounds of years past delight my ears.
Dancing and singing and enjoying the day.
I look to the sky, my thoughts drift away.
How many will die today?

I think of all those who live in fear,
as I listen to the music and enjoy my beer.
Enjoying the day with all the smiling faces.
Do they know how many will die today?
While they partake the sounds of the past.
I look at their faces and realize they do not.
I mention to a friend my thoughts.

With tears running down, I look at the ground.
I pray for the souls that will be set free.
I pray for the mothers and fathers.
I pray for the brothers and sisters,
for the husbands and wives,
and for the daughters and sons.
All will have to live without their loved ones.

I try to enjoy the moment once more, but I cannot.
My soul cry's for all the death we have caused.
I pray for peace in all humans that we can enjoy our moments.
Precious moments we choose to blow away, forever.

By FloridaMom